What is narrat?
Narrat is a narrative game engine for text-based games. Inspired by renpy syntax and built to work on the web, mobile and desktop.
Game dialogue info is written in files with a similar syntax to Renpy (.rpy files). Those files get loaded by the game engine which plays through them. This allows us to use renpy syntax highlighting in vs code easily. It is not renpy though, just inspired from it. Eventually narrat might have its own language and file extension support.
- Flexible dialog writing with branching and conditions
- Multiple script files support with labels and jumps to organise script writing
- Multiple speaking characters support with icons and poses
- Custom variables in scripts to create flags or other data the game needs to track
- Seamless saving and reloading
- UI with buttons that can be used for example to create world maps with clickable locations (the buttons can be controlled in scripts)
- Sound and music support
- Delays between script lines
- Electron build to turn the game into a pc/mac/linux app (template to be updated with example soon)
- Skill checks (Feature still early, needs a UI for viewing skills and creating characters)